The hair curler is like a magic wand for a beauty-conscious person. Because perfect curls that stay put for a long time are no less breathtaking than magic.
Also, not every person is blessed with bouncy curls that are worth admiring. That makes it natural for straight-haired or wavy-haired people to want nice curls that look at least close to real. So in this article, we are going to talk about the factors that decide which is the best hair curler in India.
Then, we will also take a look at 8 hair curlers that are now competing for neck-to-neck with each other for the position of the best hair curler. Finally, we will end this article with some commonly asked queries about hair curlers.
It might seem easy but maintaining curly hair is quite difficult. Even when curly-haired people use a hairdryer, they sort of must use a diffuser so that their curls are well-defined. Some people also go searching for the best hair straightener for curly hair. Perhaps they haven’t yet realized that curly hair is adored and envied by lots of people.
Anyway, this article is dedicated to those who wish to rock that ‘beach waves’ look or the ‘tight curls’ look whenever they feel like it without damaging their hair.
Factors that are important while purchasing the best hair curler
You know the hair curler in front of you is the best when several factors come together in your favor. And these are the factors that are going to help you in finding the best hair curler in India.
- Types of hair curlers
There is a variety of hair curlers available which can be chosen according to the type of curl you want or your hair type.
- Hair roller
First of all, we should talk about the hair rollers. They were mostly used in the salons and had been out of the spotlight for a while. But now, they have made quite a comeback and are used by people at homes too.
They are different from curling wands and irons because they do not damage the hair with their heat. Instead, they maintain the health and texture of the hair.
- So, what exactly are these hot rollers?
Hot rollers are cylindrical objects that come in boxes in which they have to be heated. And then, they have to be rolled onto the hair and clipped. After they cool down and are removed, you will get the curls you have always wanted.
Apart from hot rollers, some other tools work almost like them. For example, we have Flexi rods, Foam curlers, Sponge rollers, Brush hair rollers, Magnetic rollers, Ribbon curlers, Steam hair rollers, Velcro rollers, and Heated rollers.
Many of these do not even need heat and can be worn overnight without causing any damage to the hair. But the curls created by some of these can be loose and sometimes last not too long, and you might even leave a few strands uncurled here and there. Hence, they work best on medium hair. It is because long hair will take a lot of time to curl with this technique.
The second main hair curling tool we are going to talk about is the curling wand. It is commonly mistaken to be a curling iron but both have their differences.
While both work very well on thin, fine hair, curling wands work on thick hair too. So, what exactly are these wands?
Curling wands are like rods on which you manually roll sections of hair. Due to the heat generated, the hair will get curled up in a few minutes. But, the most important downside with these tools is that you cannot use them with unprotected hands. Heat resistant gloved hands are a must, otherwise you will burn yourself.
This is best used for casual occasions where you want beachy waves or soft waves. Though the curls are long-lasting, don’t expect too shiny or perfect curls because curling wands do not give the best finishing touch.
Also, you need to have some experience to make the most out of these
The third tool is the curling iron. This is cheaper than a curling wand but offers more features. So, first of all, what is a curling iron?
Curling irons are hair curling tools like curling wands, but with a clipper or a clasp. So, when you roll your hair sections on the iron, you can clip them instead of holding them for the entire time (like what you do with curling wands). After the heat cools down, voila! Let down the curls and enjoy!
Curling irons have settings to adjust the temperature. They are also made of different materials like ceramic, titanium, marcel, tourmaline, Teflon, chrome irons, etc. Each material creates a different quality of curls.
While tourmaline, titanium, etc can give a good amount of shine to the curls and tighten them, chrome irons are pretty disappointing.
Curling irons have different barrel sizes for different curls. Also, there are single, double, and triple barrels for curling.
These tools are like a curling wand with bristles. So, instead of simply brushing through your hair, they curl it with the application of heat.
But, it is easy for your hair to get tangled in the bristles.
If you have decided to go for the curling iron or curling wand, you will now have to decide what kind of curl you want. If you want tighter and smaller curls, barrel diameter must be between 0.75 and 1 inch. And, if you are looking for something of the beach waves or loose curls sorts, buy a tool with a barrel diameter between 1 and 2 inches.
Also, smaller barrels work for shorter hair and longer hair is better and fast curled with longer barrels.
- Type/Shape of the barrel (in case of a curling iron)
As mentioned above, curling irons come in different shapes. Here are a few.
These can be used to shape curls that are small at the top and loose at the bottom.
In these curling irons, the barrel is shaped like a pearl. Such barrels can be used to shape curls that are wild and have no particular uniform shape.
These are used to create curls that are uniformly shaped. You can also shape ringlets and coils with straight barreled curling irons.
Nowadays, we have hair straighteners that also do the job of curling the hair. If you already have a straightener that has a width of 1 inch or less and has curved edges, that is more than enough to curl your hair.
These barrels are shaped like a raised spiral or ribbon to create helical sort of curls.
Double or triple barrels
Best for long hair, they create S-shaped waves instead of curls.
These are the most important factors that will help you in easily selecting the best hair curler for yourself. Fix your budget, follow these to the T and you shall face no difficulty.
Best Hair Curler Review
Now, here are 7 of the most popular and positively reviewed hair curlers in India. Let’s see them and their features one by one.
Philips BHB862 Hair Curler
The first hair curler on this list is from the trusted electronics brand Philips. It creates great curls that last throughout the day. It also comes at a reasonable price.
- It has a 2-meter long cord that does not get tangled up.
- It heats up within a minute and when it does, it has an LED indicator that shows it is ready to be used.
- This curling iron has a protective ceramic coating that allows smoother curling.
- It also has a cool tip made from a heat-insulated material that can be held while curling the hair.
- The diameter of the barrel is 1.6 cm.
- The maximum temperature it heats up to is 200 degrees Celsius.
- It has a warranty of 2 years.
BoldnYoung Self Holding Hair Curling Flexi Rods
The next product is a Flexi rod for a change. These curling tools are for
those people who fear the damage heat can cause to their hair and also
for those who want to experiment with the different hair curling products
available in the market.
- These Flexi rod curlers come in a pack of 10.
- These are to be used on just-washed and detangled hair. You can hold them up using clips and then blow your hair dry.
- They do not damage your hair because no heat is used.
- The curls shaped from these sticks are quite long-lasting.
- The pack is also very inexpensive.
ROZIA Chopstick 360° Rotatable Power Curler
The third product in the line is a hair curling iron that is your go-to if you want smaller and tighter curls. It is available at a very reasonable price.
- It uses titanium technology that produces negatively charged ions on heating for sleeker and shinier curls.
- It heats up quickly once switched on.
- The cord stretches up to 2.5 meters.
- This tool also suits all hair types and lengths.
- It works best on damp hair.
ROZIA Ceramic Conical Curling Wand
The next curling tool is a curling wand from yet again, the brand ROZIA. It has a very good quality, fabulous positive reviews, and is available at an attractive price.
- It is coated with ceramic and tourmaline that do wonders to your hair by generating negative ions. These ions create frizz-free smooth curls that last long.
- The length of the conical barrel lies between 1 inch and 1.5 inches and tapers towards the end by 0.5 inches.
- It also a very comfortable and non-slip grip.
- The cord can be rotated completely.
- The curling wand heats up in 30 seconds.
- It can shape curls, spirals, and waves within minutes.
Revlon Curl Collection Bubble Curling Wand
Up next is a pearl-shaped curling wand from the brand Revlon. It has a lot of positive reviews and has great features to vouch for the feedback and the reasonable price.
- The barrel is coated with ceramic and tourmaline which create smooth and frizz-free long-lasting curls by generating negative ions.
- It heats up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit within half a minute.
- It also has 30 heat settings for various hair types.
- The curling wand comes with a heat-protecting glove.
- The curls last for up to 3 days without any touch-up.
Remington H5600 D 20 Piece Roller Set
The sixth product on this list is a set of hot rollers. They have gathered a lot of positive reviews and have a very reasonable price.
- The box consists of 20 hot rollers and 3 J-clips.
- The rollers are velvety and have a thermal wax-filled core to retain the heat for a longer time.
- The J-clips are color-coded according to the color of the rollers.
- The multi-sized rollers are of three different sizes – 0.75 inches, 1 inch, and 1.25 inches.
- They work at 220 V.
- The rollers also provide ionic conditioning for smoother and frizz-free curls.
URBANMAC 2 in 1 Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Iron
The final product on this list is a curling iron cum hair straightener from the brand URBANMAC. Apart from being the best hair straightener for curly hair, the positive reviews about it prove that it can also be the best hair curler at a very reasonable price.
- It uses the fast heating technique of PTC. (in which the increase in temperature decreases the current flow by increasing the resistance)
- The tool heats up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit within half a minute.
- It has an LCD screen that helps in adjusting the temperature settings conveniently.
- The ceramic-coated plates are twisted to allow easy straightening or curling.
- The front of the barrel is insulated to prevent burning.
- The additional features are a silicone gel sleeve to cover the front, a safety lock, a travel pouch, and a protecting glove.
A hair curling tool is a great tool, especially when you want salon-like curls in your own home. There are many types of rollers, curling wands, curling irons, etc used by professionals that are available online and in different shops.
So, the factors and popular hair curlers mentioned above should be sufficient to find every person’s best hair curler. Because who runs the world? Curls!
These are the answers to a few commonly asked questions about hair curlers.
Are hair curlers bad for your hair?
Anything that is used out of limits is bad for your health. In the case of hair curlers, the heat they generate can damage your hair. But, if they use ionic technology or materials like ceramic, tourmaline, Teflon, and titanium, there is a lesser chance of damage.
But, do keep a heat protectant spray in handy. (as a precaution)
Can hair curlers go bad?
The most common reason for the hair curlers going bad is incorrect input voltage. It could also go bad if you do not clean it once in a while. So, please read the manuals before you start operating your hair curler.
Which are the hair curlers you can sleep in?
If you want hair curlers that do their job overnight, you can go for foam rollers or sponge rollers. They are the best because they curl the hair without causing any sort of damage.