Before we start discussing the best primers in India, let us first know what primers are. For someone who is well acquainted with the world of makeup, this wouldn’t be a problem. However, for the people who don’t know what a primer is, it is a liquid-like substance that acts as a strong foundation for your makeup. Even if it is not necessary, it is very important for your makeup to stay in place. A primer can be used when you’re looking forward to a long day ahead where your makeup needs to stay in place.
Some of you may want to ask why one should invest in primers when nowadays there are many make-u products that guarantee a longer stay without any primer. You may choose to not use a primer if you don’t want to. However, according to some of the best make-up artists in the world, primers are a must for that perfect glow all day long.
Best primers in India – Buying Guide
Primers are of many types. Usually they are transparent and not pigmented. However, nowadays, primers also come in pigmented versions and some have a little shimmer in them to add a soft glow to your look.
If you type in best primers India into the google tab, you will come across a number of options. Thanks to the presence of many amazing brands, it may indeed be very difficult to decide which the best primers in India are.
This is where we enter with our recommended list of the best primers in India. Browse through this short and concise list to know about some of the best products in the world of make-up.
Now that we know what primers are, let us first know about a few factors you should consider before you purchase the best primers in India.
FACTORS TO LOOK FOR IN THE BEST PRIMERS:
- Colour correction primers: Some primer come in colour correcting versions like red, blue and green. Before purchasing a primer you need to assess whether you need colour correction or not. If you have some areas on your skin that need colour correction then you should definitely opt for colour correcting primers instead of purchasing a primer and a colour corrector separately. However, it may be so that a colour corrector primer may not singularly do its job and you may need separate colour correctors. It is always better to keep it simple and use either one in order for your makeup to not look very cakey and overboard.
- Know your skin type: This is probably the most important factor you should consider before purchasing a primer. Primer is the first thing you put on your face when you wear makeup. Somewhere, primer makes more direct contact to your skin than any other make-up product. Make sure your primer is cruelty free and skin friendly. However, even the most skin friendly products can prove harmful if they are not designed for your skin type. Usually, primers for dry skin are a bit oily in nature so that your skin retains some moisture even after a long day and so that your make up doesn’t look flaky and unnatural. On the other hand, primers for oily skin are designed to keep your skin oil free and assure that your make up lasts longer.
- Brand: Make sure you purchase your primer from a well-known brand that has been around for a long time and has been tried and tested by thousands of consumers. Of course, it isn’t a given that all branded primers are better than the non-branded ones, but it is always better to opt for a branded one as they are known to be more advanced and skin friendly than the others. Know your brand before buying. If you are someone who has sensitive skin and is sceptical about the brand of primer you should try, make sure you consult with a professional make-up artist. If you are someone who has some medical issues with their skin then make sure you see your regular dermatologist.
- Trial: you should always try a product before you regularly use it. Always do a patch test before you start using the product. It is recommended that you first buy a sample size before you by the big size. In case the product doesn’t suit you, you can save up on money and product.
Now that we know about the many factors you should be considering before you purchase the best primer for yourself, let us now know about the best primers India has:
Our recommendations for the best primers in India
Lakme is probably a brand everyone is well acquainted with. Whether you are a make-up enthusiast or not, it is almost obvious for you to have heard this name at least once. Thanks to its amazing products, Lakme has an amazing customer base and lakhs of users around the globe. Here’s why this is one of the best primers India has:
- Amazing finish: This primer makes sure you get that professional make-up artist finish right at the comfort of your own home without having to spend a fortune at a salon.
- Water proof formula: This primer is water-proof hence lasts longer and is perfect for a sunny day or a pool party.
- Provides radiance: On days when you don’t feel like putting on a lot of makeup, nor do you feel like going totally make-up free, just dab on a little moisturiser and a bit of this primer for that instant glow that lasts all day long.
- silky blur formula: This primer has a silky blur formula that carefully blurs out all your blemishes without having to use a lot of make-up.
This is a comparatively new brand and yet proves its mettle and is considered to be among the best primers in India. Here are some of the best features of this brand:
- Effective for hiding wrinkles: This primer has been carefully created to be very effective for wrinkles and fine lines.
- Minimises pores: If you are someone who deals with large pores then this is definitely the best product for you. This primer greatly reduces the look of open pore and gives your skin a smooth, glowy finish.
- Moisturises: Many people are of the opinion that primer has drying effects on their skin. However, this is not the case of this primer. This primer has a moisturising effect that keeps your skin fresh and hydrated.
- Helps your make-up to last longer: This primer does justice to all its claims and indeed helps your make up to stay in place for a long time.
It is indeed a very difficult task to find the best primer suitable for your skin. Moreover, looking for a concealer separately is a lot of unnecessary labour. This product is indeed a dream come true for people who don’t want to spend a lot or don’t have the time to experiment on different makeup products. Here are some of its best features:
- Comes with concealer: This is a two in one product that also acts as a concealer so you do not have to invest in a concealer separately.
- Comes with spf 20: Not only does this primer act as a concealer it also acts as a sunscreen and hence protects your skin from the sun.
- Comes in many shades: You can choose from a wide variety of shades specially curated to suit Indian skin tones.
- Medium to high coverage: This primer + concealer provides medium to high coverage and successfully hides all your blemishes without looking flaky.
- Smooth and even finish: Provides a smooth, glowy finish to your skin which can be left as it is or make for an amazing canvas for your make up.
Blue heaven is among the more affordable makeup brands and a very common name in all households. Here is why this is among the best primers India has.
- Enhances makeup: Not only does this primer help in making your make up longer lasting, it also helps to enhance your make up and gives a great finishing touch.
- Eyeshadow primer: Sometimes, people need another primer for their eyeshadow, however, this primer acts as a full face primer hence you do not have to invest in another primer unnecessarily.
- Oil free and non-greasy: This formula has been carefully designed to give you an oil free and non-greasy look the whole day.
- Good quantity: This product has a good quantity in an affordable range.
Colorbar is one of those brands which is a common name in every make up lover’s household. This brand produces the best quality and the most affordable products for their consumers. Here’s why this is the best product for you:
- Perfect for uneven texture: If you struggle with unevenly textured skin, then this is the perfect primer for you.
- Easy to apply: This is one of the primers that is very easy to apply and its silky texture helps it to spread very evenly all across your face.
- Perfect match for most types of skin: This product is very skin friendly and is suitable for most types of skin.
- Protects skin: This primer not only protects your skin from damage but also hydrates it and gives it a fresh look.
- Perfect for open pores: If you have a lot of open pores then this is probably the best solution for you.
- Matte finish: This is probably one of the few primers that give a perfect matte finish to your look.
- Silicon oil: This primer has silicon oil that helps it to glide over skin.
- Oil free primer: This primer is oil free and is perfect for oily skin. This will provide a matte look to your make-up.
- No paraben or sulphate: This primer is paraben free and sulphate free and is hence very safe on the skin.
- Clear colour: This primer comes in clear colour and hence is suitable for all skin colours.
- Easy to apply: This primer is very easy to apply thanks to its silky texture.
- Travel friendly: Comes in a travel friendly, leak proof container that prevents any mess.
Now that we have discussed the best primers in India, conclusively we can say that these are only a few of the best primers India has. It is almost impossible to include every primer which we think is the best in this list. However, we have indeed done our research and you can be assured that these are among the best products you can ever lay your hands on. If you indeed want to purchase a quality, skin-friendly, and pocket-friendly makeup product then make sure you go through this list. However, to be safe, always remember to do a patch test before using any makeup product on your face.
Before we end the article, let us first discuss about few of the most frequently asked questions about primers.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I really need a make-up primer in order for my make-up to last long?
As it has been stated initially in the article, a primer may not be important for everyone. However, it is a must if you need your makeup to stay in place for a long period of time. Also, nowadays many new variants of primers have also entered the market that adds a shimmer and some also act as color correctors. Gone are the days when the only job of the primer was to hold on to the make-up. Many artists swear by primers and are of the opinion that they should always be used for the perfect finishing.
Are primers harmful for my skin?
Usually, no. nowadays, brands take special care to make their products very skin-friendly. However, it may be so that a product that suits your friend may not suit you. This may be due to very different kinds of skin types or a specific allergy to a particular ingredient in the primer. Other than that, make-up primers are indeed not that harmful to your skin.
How to apply a primer most effectively?
Primers usually need to be applied in very small quantities. It may feel like you’ve put nothing on, but that indeed is a quality the best primers possess. A primer is supposed to feel weightless and sit comfortably on your skin without weighing your makeup down. To apply it effectively, take a pea-sized amount of product on your palm, use your fingertips to apply on your face, and massage outwards. Wait for it to dry before you apply anything else. There is not one perfect way to apply primer; but this is indeed one of the best ways.
Should I apply moisturiser before applying primer?
Usually, many makeup artists are of the opinion that moisturizers are to be applied before putting on make-up to prevent any drying effects of the product and to protect your skin from long-term damage. However, nowadays, primers also come in moisturizing variants that not only keep the skin hydrated but also help in making your make-up more long-lasting. Make sure you know your primer and if it is a moisturizing one don’t apply moisturizer before you apply the primer. The more products you use, the flakier your make-up will look. Even if you do plan to use a moisturizer, use it in small quantities.